Professional Development during Summer Session at the McCallum Theatre
Schools re-enroll teacher teams directly with MTI. Individual teachers discuss their participation with their AEP school coordinator and principal, who will forward a list of partnering teachers to MTI no later than May 5, 2017. Schools need to participate with a minimum of four classrooms/teachers in order to re-enroll as a partner in the Aesthetic Education Program.
Summer Session workshops, live performances, screenings and exhibits will be available for electronic selection by teachers, whose names have been submitted by their school, beginning May 8th thru June 5th.
New teachers to the partnership will be automatically enrolled. We will send the Introductory Course attendance details via email on June 1st.
Introductory Course: June 12-16, 2017, 9am-5pm
Teachers who are new to the Aesthetic Education Program participate in a five-day introductory course. This in-depth workshop experience is specifically designed for K-12 grade teachers, but is also open to and suitable for school or arts administrators, teaching artists, curriculum developers, college or university professors, art docents and others interested in discovering how to unlock imaginative learning through engaging with works of art. The course components are:
- Aesthetic education workshops in dance, music, theater and visual arts designed to illuminate properties of the focus works, explore broad concepts in various art forms, and expand on teaching tools and strategies
- Performances or screenings of focus works in dance, music and theatre, and an exhibit of a focus work in visual art, which serve as texts for study
- A lecture by Dr. Sue Teele, UC Riverside, on the Theory of Multiple Intelligences
- Maintaining a journal to record experiences and ideas
- Submission of an essay including three sections – one summarizing the journal’s most significant ideas, one analyzing and discussing one of the works presented during Summer Session, and a final section commenting on the Aesthetic Education practice and philosophy
Attendance is mandatory for the entire five-day Introductory Course.
Advanced Workshops: June 12-16, 2017, 9am-5pm
Teachers who have completed the introductory course and are returning to the Aesthetic Education Program remain enrolled by taking advanced workshops. Returning partners may choose from a variety of different workshops. Summer Session attendance requirements for returning teachers are:
- Active engagement in a minimum of one or up to five specialized workshops in dance, music, theater and/or visual arts designed to illuminate properties for the focus works, explore broad advanced concepts in the various art forms and expand teaching strategies and tools. Individual advanced workshops will be announced May 8, 2017.
- Attendance at a minimum of three focus works in dance, music, theater and/or visual arts which serve as texts for study